Information Commissioners Office to Provide ‘A View from the Regulator as GDPR approaches’ at IRMS Conference 2018
Head of Risk and Governance and Designated Data Protection Officer at the ICO, Louise Byers to Provide Opening Keynote
The Information and Records Management Society (IRMS) today announces that the Head of Risk and Governance and designated Data Protection Officer at the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Louise Byers, will present A view from the regulator as GDPR approaches at the IRMS Annual Conference 2018.
The UK’s leading conference for information and records management professionals takes place from 20th to 22nd May 2018, and with GDPR to be enshrined in law in the same week (25th May), it is set to be a hot topic for delegates at the Hilton Brighton Metropole.
Louise Byers runs the Commissioner’s Private Office, the ICO’s GDPR implementation programme and leads the Records and Information Management team. Her opening keynote, on Monday 21st May and will trigger two days of presentations and discussions focusing on the Regulation which include:
- Mind the gap: Responsibility to remember in the GDPR era – Gareth Aitken, Product Marketing Manager at Preservica, will demonstrate how organisations can use GDPR as an opportunity for more effective use of information and the delivery of successful long-term compliance and information governance.
- The regulatory dragon: Has privacy legislation become too big to tame? Sarah Norman, Data Protection & Records Manager at Kinapse, will examine the discourse between GDPR laws and other regulation such as International Clinical Practice and Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFiD).
- The health and social care journey from DPA to GDPR – Andrew Harvey, Head of Information Governance at Western Sussex Hospital NHS and Barry Moult from the Strategic Information Governance Network, will share their experience of making the sometimes fun, often complex, health and social care journey from DPA to GDPR.
- The end of the GDPR journey or just the beginning? David Reeve, Head of Information Strategy at JISC, will assess the GDPR journey so far, through the implementation of GDPR and E-privacy at JISC. The session will also explore what the 25th May 2018 means…not the day to stop and relax…. merely day one of the GDPR journey.
- Can British and international standards make GDPR compliance easier and more cost effective? Alan Shipman, Managing Director of Group 5 Training Ltd, will explain how implementing the requirements of BS 10012:2017 makes understanding and implementing GDPR simpler.
- Get doing GDPR right now! Leigh Hanton & Alex Church from Metataxis, will present a case study of implementing GDPR for a global services organisation. They will outline an overall approach to achieving practical GDPR compliance, that not only delivers short-term compliance, but sustained compliance over time, while delivering information management and governance benefits.
- Lessons from the infosec industry on how not to approach GDPR – Rowenna Fielding, Data Protection Lead at Protecture, will address data protection/privacy and the lessons that can be learned from the 20-year journey of the information security industry.
The full agenda for the IRMS Annual Conference 2018 is available at: http://www.irmsconference.org.uk/2018programme/
Registration for the IRMS Annual Conference 2018 is open now with complementary press passes are available on request from Graham Thatcher. Tel: +44 (0) 7933 673 240; Email: email@example.com